Genetic testing is all about using laboratory measures for testing the DNA and gene. The test identifies the type of DNA and instructions an individual inherits from both parents. The risks of getting infected with any heart disease are also associated with the kind of gene one has. Apart from identifying the probability of conditions, the probable remedies are also chosen accordingly.
Why do I need to get genetic testing?
There are some questions that every individual might like to ask. Genetic testing for health issues is a new concept but is becoming the most common cause of chronic diseases among individuals. It is also pertinent to mention that with timely diagnosis, the cure and treatment are also possible.
However, under some circumstances, the testing becomes even essential. Such conditions could be:
- When an individual has an increased risk of getting infected with any disease or illness in the future following the occur acne of such disease in family history
- When there are any signs of disease or illness in an individual
- If you as a parent is suffering from some chronic or genetic disorder and fear that such disease might be transferred to your children
- In case you are pregnant and expecting a child and want to test your fetus. It is true when the expecting mother has some genetic issue or any underlying health condition. This is also necessary to ensure the normal development of the fetus.
Analyzing the findings of the genetic testing for Health:
A layperson cannot interpret the result of the genetic testing. You, however, may need the assistance of a medical practitioner or genetic counselor. There are many technical aspects of the development which the only expert can inform and advise upon. So what can you learn from the testing:
- How to diagnosis the test results
- You look for all the genes, especially the infected gene responsible for the cause of the disease in the individual.
- You can find out the severity of the disease owing to that gene
- Once the issue has been diagnosed, the probable treatment and cure can be looked for
- You will also be able to look for the possible change in the genetic makeup that is responsible for the development of a particular disease in the body
- Is there any specific gene that can cause instability in the genetic makeup and pass it on to the children
Performing the genetic testing:
There are some ways with which genetic testing for Health can be performed. Mainly sample is taken or extracted for examination purposes. The piece of tissues can be taken either from:
- cells either swabbed from the mouth (inside mouth)
- sample of hair
- blood sample
- saliva sample
- skin extracts
- tumor sample
- for the fetus, the sample is taken from the fluid that surrounds the womb
Mainly health care providers are responsible for collecting the sample. Because they are the one who knows what and how to manage the piece and send to the laboratory for testing purposes. The result comes in writing form, and it is advisable to discuss the same with the health care counselor for planning the necessary treatment.